Thursday, April 30, 2015

4/17/15


Last time I was with Mrs. Gandara’s class I asked them to bring some deciduous leaves for next time, but I forgot to remind them so no one brought any.  Luckily I was able to gather a bunch before I went to her class and everyone had a couple of leaves to use.  I showed the class how to do texture rubbings with the leaves and told them that this was something they could work on while they waited their turn to use the printing plates. 


Their Styrofoam prints turned out great, but unfortunately I didn’t have time to take pictures at the end of class and they took them home before I could come back for them :(  Here's an example of what they looked like.  Just picture this, but involving pine needles :)


After doing Styrofoam prints, we reviewed deciduous trees.  I showed them some artworks that included trees and had the students tell me whether they thought the trees were deciduous or coniferous.  


It was good review for them and helped me assess what they already knew/remembered.  I demonstrated how to make monoprints with deciduous leaves and explained the concept of positive and negative space.  


I think this process would have been a good idea, but I shouldn’t have used printmaking ink.  It was too thick and dried up too quickly. It would have been better if we used tempera or acrylics, but now I know for the future!  

No comments:

Post a Comment